Sunday, June 23, 2013

Dilemma emma.

I think I need to join a writers group or something. I don't know if my protagonist is likable enough, or at all. I would ask my friends to read over it, give me feedback on her, but they either don't care or are too busy.
By design she is sarcastic and has anger issues, but female protagonist are hard when you are writing for a female audience, there has to be certain attributes that the audience has to identify with. And there is a fine line between likable and dislikeable. The female literary characters that are likable tend not to be bitchy in nature. Hell, she is my character and even I am frustrated with how she lashes out first, thinks things out later. But I love her too because I understand her reasons.
Before it was good, before I was part of a creative writing class. It was brilliant and so supportive. (In fact I doubt I would have finished my first novel if not for the encouragement I received there. I had never finished a story before it and always believed I didn't have it in me to do so.) But I had to leave that when I started college. Now I am at a loss to see an outside perspective on my work.
I think I just have to keep reminding myself - I'm writing this for me. For fun. I'm writing this for me. For fun. Let my character have free reign of the page. Let her voice come through, whether it be shouting or whispering.

No comments:

Post a Comment