Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New Moon: The Graphic Novel Vol. 1



Now, the story of how I came to be the owner of New Moon: The Graphic Novel Vol. 1 was a little less eventful. I actually purchased that. (Oh Lord! What have I become?)
I will be honest, I purchased this solely for the book cover. I actually adore it. It holds some sort of charm for me, I don’t exactly know why. (Perhaps it was because Jacob was the only character that I found I could tolerate within the whole series – until Aro came prancing along, that is. Actually no, strike that. That’s not the reason.)
I was a lot more disappointed in this that I was in the first book. Perhaps I had expectations for this and had none for the first one? Perhaps it just wasn’t up to the first ones standard?
I’m going with the latter. It was too short. Relied too much on Bella’s narration and not the images (if I wanted Bella’s narration I would read, and be bored by, New Moon again.) I wanted graphics to tell the tale in a visual style, that’s why I purchased it. I also hoped for a bit of Volturi. Instead what we get is the exact same image of them as was in the first book. That’s just plain lazy.

Which, in honesty, is what I would sum this book up as, lazy and a milking of the fanbase.
Fans of Twilight are hard-core. (I should know, I’ve been verbally attacked by a few in my time. Somehow or another they don’t welcome my open criticism of the awfulness of the films, or my extreme dislike of the hypocrisy of the “heroes.”) They deserve better than substandard - all true fans of fandoms do. This could have been EASILY one book. According to amazon Vol. 2 has even less pages than Vol. 1. And no doubt that as soon as both have been released a “collector’s edition” will follow suit, and that will offer a minor incentive that true fans will want to purchase, despite having both already.

And that is why I’m glad my main fandom is Harry Potter. For our visual desires we get the awesome Pottermore. And it’s free. All free. Just like Dobby. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment