Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Tree of Seasons



I wanted to like this, I really did. Not just because I was a boy zone fan in my teens, but because its a great concept (the art work is also very pretty) I'm a woodsy girl so the prospect of a story in which the underlying theme is to cherish trees and nature really appealed to me.
I'm aware that I am perhaps not in the correct age bracket for this book, but most reviews I have read said that it was enjoyable for adults just as much as children.
Unfortunately, the writing doesn't live up to the standards of other books that have cross-over appeal. It's very simplistic writing and because of that I found it difficult to read because I found it very boring. 
Things aren't developed. The characters could have been fleshed out more. And the danger never felt all too real, especially for the main mortal protagonists - whenever things got a little bit hard, one of the magical characters just happened to have a spell for the job. Things were just too easily solved.

I'd give it two stars. And one of those is only because I love Stephen 'Key To My Heart' Gately.

No comments:

Post a Comment