Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Internship

 

Urgh! I didn't have high hopes for this film, but then again I didn't expect it to be so dire either. Woeful, just painfully woeful.
I saw it with my nephew, not my friend who wanted to see it. When I told her it was dreadful she said 'not another Wedding Crashers then?' It is, most certainly, NOT another Wedding Crashers. Wedding Crashers had, a least, a few funny moments that weren't shown in the trailer.
In fact when I asked for two tickets, the cashier corrected my pronunciation. I had pronounced it like someone was being interned in Guantanamo Bay.
By the end of the film, I wanted to confront the cashier, I was right, she was wrong. That pronunciation was fitting: someone should have been interned in Guantanamo Bay for this crap.

My thought throughout this film was 'this cannot possibly be scripted. Nobody could see this on paper and think it's funny.' It was a thought that seemed to be confirmed when the credits rolled. Vaughn himself was one of the writers. Yep. That's it. That explains it!
I would pay good money to see the script for this because I've a strong inclination that whenever Vaughn's character speaks, the script simply reads 'improv here.'
That is all this film was - inane drivel, probably made up on the spot, spouted by an actor that plays the same role in near enough every film he is in. (Vaughn is on my list next to Sandler, Cera, Stewart.)
An out dated idea - jobs at Google, really? Is this still the naughties? - Characters we've seen time and time again (Vaughn, the mouth-piece who has a heart. Wilson, gets the girl who originally wasn't interested) and non-funny improvising. Avoid at all cost. (And certainly don't pay money for it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment