Monday, July 29, 2013

I am a Fangirl, hear me roar


What is this new thing now of having to back up your claim of being a fangirl? Apparently you can’t just self-describe yourself as one anymore, you know have to sit a thorough examination on your chosen subject.
Call yourself a Sherlock fangirl? Name all of Conan Doyle’s Holmes stories.
Call yourself a Batman fangirl? Give an account of all the characters, their alias, who they are related too.
Call yourself a Harry Potter fangirl? What was Dumbledore’s wand made of BEFORE he won the Elder Wand? (I kid, that’s a trick question. J.K.R has never said.’)

Some dick on a forum that shall rename nameless, simply because I fancy calling it ‘the-board-that-shall-not-be-named,’ called me out for saying I was a ‘fangirl.’
‘What’s your fandoms?’ he insisted. When I commented elsewhere about a certain demi-god of mischief he wrote something akin to ‘I bet you only like the Avengers because of the “omg hes sooooooo sexy” men! Have you even read an Avengers comic?’
I didn’t reply. I simply simmered with rage.
I will reply here instead: Yes, I have read an Avengers comic, one Avengers comic to be exact. And in my personal opinion, it sucked! And it sucked for the sole reason that I don’t like comic books!
Like in a relationship, you change. Your partner changes. And sooner or later you may drift apart. That for me is akin to comic books. They change, move in directions you wished the character or the story didn’t go. And I’d simply rather dedicate my time to a story arc in a novel than in a comic because a novel is what it is. It doesn’t change.

On my list of things I love more than breathing are films. Action films. Romance films. Fantasy films. Comedy films. I LOVE films!
So yes, my introduction to Loki was in Thor. (Aside from the Norse Myths I read as a child) But apparently that doesn’t make me a Loki fan at all, because I’m a female, and therefore unable to appreciate him for anything other than Tom Hiddleston’s looks. I’m female, and therefore incapable of enjoying action and seeing stuff blown up on screen. I’m female, and therefore should be silenced when I talk about my excitement at all the ComicCon news.
I need to show some credentials in order to do all that. I need to name all the X-men and their relationships to each other in order to justify my enthusiasm for Days of Future Past.
Here are my credentials. *gives the finger*
I’ll be fangirl to the day I die! I don’t need you to confirm or discredit that fact for me!  

And on that note: bring on Wednesday and The Wolverine. Origins was terrible. I hope this is an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment