Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cuckoo's and Christies

Still I've yet to get my hands on a copy of The Cuckoo's Calling. To be fair, Eason's and Chapters have them in stock. But I've yet to get into town at a time when Eason's is open. (I'm opting to buy it in Eason's as I'll earn myself some nifty points with my loyalty card. And since I used to work there, well, I feel a sense of loyalty to the place.) Besides, I'm trying to plough ahead with my own writing, to get sucked into a book right now will take up most of my time. And while I don't mind that, I'm just not all that eager for it just yet as I'm at an exciting part in my story. (Escape and kidnap and rescue. Oh my!)
Anyway, this post is more an edit post than a little randomly talking crap post. First off, I thought The Cuckoo's Calling was set in Edinburgh. I've found out it's actually set in London. I'm slightly disappointed in this. And by slightly I mean very.
And secondly, err...duh!!! I'm an idiot. There was me talking about how I not that much of a fan of crime fiction. If I had of only looked left I would have seen the shelf I have dedicated solely to the marvellous Agatha Christie.
To make myself clearer I should have said I am not that much of a fan of modern crime fiction. Modern crime is all too real. If I wanted to read about modern crime, I'd pick up a newspaper, or simply ask the family what's going on in the neighbourhood. I don't so I won't!
Agatha Christie may be crime, but the past, particularly an English past, is rose-tinted and it's easier to get sucked into, thus enjoy more, the fiction of a Christie whodunit, like one big game of Cluedo. At least that's the way it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment