Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Conjuring

An audience can make or break a movie. Unfortunately that's true on many levels. A showing in the local cinema on the all-tickets-a-fiver night meant that it was jammed packed. The audience I witnessed The Conjuring with sure as hell nearly broke it for me. Luckily it was a good enough movie to withstand annoying skanger central.

Morons screaming unnecessarily, people shouting 'boo' thinking they're funny (the first time, maybe, but by the tenth time it's not funny, not original, so why continue?) and worse of all, eejits talking constantly. I would have walked out if not for the fact that I have never in my life walked out on a horror, and I didn't intend to do so in the middle of a packed cinema during a film that couldn't scare me if Jimmy Savile ghosts jumped out from the screen.

The film itself: clichéd jump-a-thon that was somehow saved by the end. I loved the end.

After counting four clichés in the first few minutes I decided to stop. I've ruined so many movies by over-analysing. My problem is I like to write ghost stories, so I can't help but analyse them, find the pitfalls, find what work, and twist them. This just happens to put a dampener on my enjoyment.
I'm still awaiting that one film that scares me, as it stands World War Z made me jump more than The Conjuring. A grand total of one jump.

On the bright side I now know what I'm getting my uber windy sister for Christmas: an Annabelle Doll. She didn't (wouldn't) see the film, so I described it to her as 'think Chucky's Victorian girlfriend.' And then I put a picture of Annabelle as her mobile's locked-phone wallpaper. Now, with every call she gets, it looks like Annabelle is ringing. I am pleased with my messing!

Annabelle is watching you. And she doesn't not approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment