Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Cliffs of Moher

My face feels like it is on fire! I imagine this is what Hell is like, only without the After Sun.
Irish weather be crazy. Like proper ridiculously crazy. My sunburnt face is courtesy of a drizzly, windy day spend off the west coast of Ireland. To say I didn't wear factor because I didn't think I needed it would be truth. I was soaked for the majority of the trip.
The Cliffs Between The Cliff And The Stack

In the battle of who gave the best birthday present, this year my friend won with the Loki T-Shirt. My planned cruise around the Cliffs of Moher and the Aran island of Inisheer that got I her turned into what we now call, 'That time we were stranded on Craggy Island.'
You know that saying, that 'To Hell or to Connacht' saying? I knew it. Hell, I've used it in my Irish Writing essay. But now I understand it. Rocky, hilly place that it is.
We landed on Inisheer and had to await our boat back to the mainland.
Three hours. THREE hours. With nothing much to do. (We didn't realise it was a landing on the actual island, we had thought it was a cruise around it so didn't particularly prepare for it.) We ended up having a long chat on the beach and multiply caffeine-containing mugs of something or other.
It wasn't all bad, of course. We had a laugh. We saw dolphins and the cliffs did look eerily stunning surrounded  by the mist.

Unfortunately I couldn't take all that many photos. I was leaning on the edge and with the wild bobbing of the ocean I didn't take many chances with my phone in case it should be like Goldie Hawn in that film - overboard.

I'm also excited by the fact that the cliffs were used as the exterior shots of The Cave scene in Half Blood Prince. Getting even a little bit of Potter into things makes me just that little bit happier in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment