Thursday, December 12, 2013

Movies of 2013

It is that time of year again. Or better yet, let me remember that this is the first end of year I've had on this blog and state instead that this time of year is usually when I do a round-up of the films I've seen during the year and rank my top five. I used to do it a lot more in-depth, but time is short, lots to do, people to see...you get the picture. Allow me to proceed.

Les Miserables
The Impossible
Pitch Perfect
Movie 43
Flight
This is 40
A Good Day to Die Hard
The Great and Powerful Oz
The Incredible Burt Wonderstone
Identity Thief
Oblivion

Avengers/Iron Man 3 double bill
Star Trek: Into Darkness
The Great Gatsby
Fast and Furious 6 (Paul Walker *sniff*)
The Hangover 3
Man of Steel
Behind the Candelabra
World War Z
Despicable Me 2
The Internship
This is the End
The Heat
Now You See Me
The Wolverine
The Conjuring
Alan Partridge
Mortal Instruments: The City of Bones
2 Guns
Pain and Gain
We’re the Millers
Rush
Sunshine of Leith
Escape Plan
Thor 2 (Or as I like to call it – Thoraphy: now with added Lokimon) x4 (something tells me this will be favourite of the year ;))
Dr Who: 50th Anniversary
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
Saving Mr Banks


So that puts me at a total of 39, plus the three extra times I saw Thor = 42.
Every year I say '
I can do better.' But I'm happy with that. Plus I've plans to see Anchorman 2 and The Hobbit before this year is out, so, I am well ahead in my annual goal of more than 40.

To say there was so crap films this year would be an understatement. Some were really woeful.
Let’s start with those ones J

Worst:

5. Pitch Perfect. It got a sequel. How? The Breakfast Club is not some epic powerful awe-inspiring film that makes you cry. Stop trying to make us think it is, Hollywood!
Plus, no new student can just walk into a job on the campus radio so easily. I don't care if its Anna Kendrick or not. And add to that, I hate it when a film character listens to someone as mainstream as David Guetta yet it is made a big deal, that she is some sort of rebel and a true music fan for listening to someone like David Guetta. She is not hipster for knowing David Guetta!!!!

4. Pain and Gain. Not so much a bad movie, I just didn’t greatly enjoy it.

3. The Hangover 3. Disappointing.

2. The Internship: I keep a notebook with all my ticket stubs, you know, for this time of year so I can remember all I saw. In said notebook I also write little notes on what I originally thought. My review of this starts with "Piss poor! Woeful. Truly woeful!" It's something I stand by!
This should probably tie for first. I feel giving it number two doesn’t justify, or get across my utter contempt for it. It was like an idea sprung up and Vince Vaughn thought ‘script? What’s that? I’ll just go in and make shit up, it how I built my career so far.’
Then I realised, number two. Yeah. That’s apt. It’s a big pile o’ shite!

1. This is 40. Woeful. Woeful. Nothing redeeming about it. Just truly terrible. I hear yer man Aptow, or however its spelt, is doing another film. Let me guess, Leslie Mann will be playing the nagging, whiny voiced wife in it?
Honourable mention goes to Great and Powerful Oz. Great and Powerful Snoozefest more like!
Best

5. Alan Partridge. Perhaps it was because I didn’t expect to enjoy it, but it was so funny that it definitely has to make the top 5. “You’re a clown, Alan.” “This guy has a gun *not caring* “He’s Irish” “Quick, get in” LOL
4. The Conjuring. As scary films go, it was predictable and didn’t make me jump once. That said, it is one of the best in its genre. I loved the look, the mood and that creepy Annabel doll (which I hear is getting its own sequel. Fun times!)

3. Hunger Games. REALLY enjoyed this. So much better than the first one, even though first one is great. So emotional and exciting. I honestly was nervous because I didn’t know what was gonna happen.
2. Dr. Who: Not just because it had three main Doctors. Had glimpses of all 12/13 Doctors including the this slice of Capaldi that has us all in an uproar. Not just because it was the best experience in the cinema ever. But because it was fucking awesomely funny and brilliant and I LOVE DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!!

1. Goes without saying…Thor: The Dark World. It had everything - Action. Check. Loki. Check. Very funny bits. Check. Loki. Check. Tom Hiddlestone. Check. Science that didn’t make sense but no one gave a shit. Check. Thor. Check. Loki. Check. Oh, and something else…yeah, it had Loki. Check. What more can you ask for in a movie?
Honourable mention goes to This is the End. It should have made the top five, to be honest, for the Backstreet Boys if nothing else. But I already had films picked out for humour, I wanted one that wasn’t so that is why The Conjuring makes the list and This is the End doesn’t.

Saving Mr Banks
and Sunshine on Leith should also get shout-outs too.

No comments:

Post a Comment