Wednesday, September 11, 2013

HMV

My beloved has returned. Yes, HMV has re-opened here in the Republic of Ireland. But as with most things it life, it ain't half as good as it used to be!
For 8 months I've been DVD and CD dry. It's been hard, I can tell ya. There was even a time there that I thought I'd never go on another DVD buying binge again. The buzz had been lost.
But like a sip of sherry to Henry Sellers, once that honeyed poison crossed my lips (or to put it in normal words: once I crossed the threshold) I knew I was off the wagon. Big style.
We scanned, we browsed, we insulted Twilight. It was just like the old days.
We exclaimed 'what is this fuckery?' when we noticed the prices. Twenty euro for the new Iron Man 3??? Ouch! Ain't gonna happen, HMV. If I wanted to pay that price I'd purchase it in Golden Discs (at least there I can use my student discount.)
The Friday release of anything new meant you'd get it for thirteen euro, then during the week it went up to at least fifteen. I thought that was the HMV that was returning. Sadly no.
Some box-sets where also very highly priced (Golden Discs high priced) so that was a little surprising too. (Big Bang Theory, Breaking Bad. Same price but I saw Mad Men and Game of Thrones cheaper in GD.)
You just know the price increase was because of the hardship HMV went through, but still, I can't help but weep for the lost of the new release buzz. Twenty euro is just too steep for any movie. I'll be waiting on the sales!

No comments:

Post a Comment